Crop Protection Permits

​​​The purpose of a crop protection permit is to prevent the destruction of, or injury to, any stock or plants caused by the wildlife.  An owner or manager is required to hold a crop protection permit to poison, trap and shoot wildlife which is causing damage to pasture and crops.  You can find further information on the protection status and management options for wildlife species commonly found on farms, in the document below.

  Protection status for Wildlife Species   (101Kb)

A combined permit is issued for Bennett's and rufous wallaby and brushtail possum. Individual permits are issued for other species.

Please note the conditions of crop protection permits for antlerless fallow deer will change with all new permits issued ​as five year permits from March 2020.  

Please see Game Services Tasmania​​ website for further information. 

In this Topic

​Applying for a P​​ermit

Crop protection permits are issued by Game Services Tasmania​. Applications can be submitted via post, fax, email or in person.  Contact details can be found at the bottom of this page.

When completing a crop protection permit application form the following details are required:
  • the full name and address (residential and postal) of the applicant;
  • the property name if applicable, the property size, and the property address;
  • notification of any relevant offences (wildlife or firearm related) resulting in a conviction within the last five years; and
  • background information - including the type of wildlife, the damage being caused, and any previous control measures.

Where a property is managed or leased the applicant must provide the owner details for verification purposes.

An application may take five to ten working days to be processed. An approved crop protection permit will then be posted or emailed to the applicant.  Permits with tags will be posted.

The table shows the format of crop protection permits and take return requirements for common species.

Maximum duration of PermitLandholders must supply agent details where commercial harvesting is proposedTake Return Requirements
Bennetts and rufous wallaby and​​ brushtail possum 5 yearsnot applicable

28 days after expiry of permit 
Various bird species12 monthsnot applicable28 days after expiry of the permit
Fallow deer male (buck 
and immature male) *permit includes tags

not applicable
28 days after expiry of the permit
Fallow deer antlerless 
​5 years
not applicable

28 days after expiry of the permit
Forester kangaroo 
*permit includes tags
variousyes28 days after expiry of the permit
Wombat12 monthsnot applicable28 days after expiry of the permit

All take return data information must be kept for a five year period.

Recording Take​

Permit holders are require to maintain an annual record of the wildlife taken under the permit, including that of their agent and any zero take.

Reporting Take Returns

Take returns must be submitted to the Department within 28 days following the expiry of the permit. 

Further permits will not be issued to the owner or manager until the take details for any previous permits have been received.  Please note that a return must still be provided even if the take is zero or a renewal is not required. 

A copy of previous permits can be provided upon request where the original has been misplaced or lost to allow an owner or manager to submit their return information. 

Please note that permit returns assist in the management of wildlife and ensure that future permit requirements can be processed promptly. 

An owner or manager can update the information they provided when obtaining a permit by contacting the Wildlife Management Branch at any time during the permit period or via the permit return form.   

A property logbook can be provided on request to assist landholders to tally the take for various species.

Reissuing Permits

To have a permit reissued, please complete the new application section on your expired permit before returning it to the Department.  

​Recording Tag Allocation

Crop protection permits for fallow deer male (buck and immature male) and forester kangaroo are issued with tags allocated to the owner or manager, not the additional permit holders (hunters) operating under the permit.

It is recommended that the​ owner or manager keep a record of who they have allocated permit tags to and note the specific tag numbers. 

The legal obligations that govern crop protection permits can be found at Wildlife (General) Regulations 2010. ​​


Game Services Tasmania
GPO Box 44
Hobart TAS 7000
Phone: 1300 292 292