Public Land Deer Hunting Ballot
Antlerless Deer Booking System
Access to public land for hunting antlerless deer will be allocated through a new online booking system that will open for registrations in February 2021.
Male Deer Ballot
The 2021 Public Land Deer Hunting Ballot will run through the male deer season only (27/2/2021 – 4/4/2021).
Please note this Ballot is now closed.
The ballot will be drawn Monday 25 January - Friday 29 January 2021 at Prospect Government Offices.
Successful applicants will be sent hunting authorisations before the hunting season begins using the contact details provided on their ballot application.
Important Ballot Information
To be considered for the ballot each group MUST nominate a hunting party leader who enters the ballot once on behalf of the group.
The hunting party leader will be required to enter details for each member of the hunting party.
- The applicant will have the ability to nominate no more than 5 preferred hunting blocks, and up to 6 hunting dates.
- Authorisations will be issued subject to a random ballot process for each hunting period and Reserve(s) you have nominated. There will be no option of swapping the preferred dates or Reserve(s) you are allocated.
- This year the successful ballot Authorisations will run from Wednesday to the following Tuesday. Apart from week 1 of the male season which will run from Saturday to Tuesday, and the final week of the male season which will run from Wednesday to Sunday.
- To ensure hunter safety, all hunters on Parks and Wildlife Service (PWS) and Hydro Tasmania (HT) managed land must wear some form of hi-visibility/blaze orange clothing (i.e. hat, vest) to be more identifiable to other hunting parties.
- Successful ballot permit holders have to adhere to the permit conditions, including the terms and conditions.
During the 2021 seasons, hunting will again be authorised in the following Reserves:
- Great Western Tiers Conservation Area
- Top Marshes Conservation Area
- Five Mile Pinnacles Conservation Area
- Central Plateau Conservation Area: Brenton Rivulet block (PWS) and Mother Lord Plains block (HT)
- Great Western Tiers Conservation Area: Parson & Clerk Mountain Block (PWS)
- Great Lake Conservation Area: Tumbledown Creek block (PWS) and land known as Gunns Marsh surrounding Gunns Lake and Little Lake (HT)
- Tooms Lake Conservation Area
- Buxton River Conservation Area
- St Pauls Regional Reserve
- Castle Cary Regional Reserve
Hunters should note that the four east coast Reserves (Castle Cary, St. Pauls, Buxton River, Tooms Lake) will be closed to all hunting from 1 July 2021 – 29 February 2022 due to wedge tailed eagle and falcon breeding seasons.
Castle Cary will also be closed to hunting to allow for other visitor activities during the following periods:
- Wednesday 5 May until Tuesday 18 May 2021 inclusive
- The east cost Reserves have 'no hunting' buffer zones of 500m (see maps)
- Limitations on access have been placed on Reserves to minimise habit disturbance during the wedge tailed eagle breeding season and other PWS supported activities (Orienteering Tasmania).
Detailed information and maps can be found on the Reserve Areas page.