Game Hunting Requirements, Licence Costs & Bag Limits

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Game Licence Applications

Who Needs a Game Licence

Any person wishing to recreationally hunt deer, wild duck, muttonbird, wallaby, brown quail or pheasant during the gazetted open seasons in Tasmania will require a game licence. 

Firearms Licences

All persons aged eighteen years and older, who wish to take deer, duck, wallaby, brown quail or pheasant will require a current firearms licence. Current firearm licences issued from all Australian states or territories will be accepted.

If an applicant is purchasing a game licence for deer then the Tasmanian Minor's permit or firearm licence must have a Category B endorsement.

Persons aged between 14 to under 18 years of age who wish to take game species during the open season must hold a current Tasmanian Minor's (Firearms) Permit to use a firearm. Game licences will not be issued to a person under the age of 14 where a firearm is required to be used. Please contact Firearms Services, Tasmania Police ​on (03) 6173 2720​ for further information.

Interstate visitors applying for a game licence require a current firearms licence from their home state. Overseas firearms licences are not recognised in Tasmania. It is necessary for international hunters to obtain a Tasmanian exemption permit to be obtained. Please contact Firearm Services on (03) 6173 2720 for further information on obtaining thi​s exemption.

All applicants must provide their current firearms licence details when purchasing a game licence if a firearm is required for the species type being purchased. A game licence is only valid in conjunction with a current firearms licence (not applicable to muttonbird game licences).

All applicants including those with Renewal Applications applying for a game licence by post who do not provide their current firearms licence on their application (where a firearm is required to take a species) will have their application returned to them without processing.

Applicants purchasing via the post or online through the game licensing website may be required to produce their firearms licence for verification.

Applicant's firearm licences, minor's firearm permits, and international visitor firearm exemptions must be sighted by Service Tasmania staff when a game licence is purchased in person by either the applicant or the applicant's agent.

When an applicant is purchasing a wallaby game licence only so that they can participate in a crop protection activity (spotlight permit) as a non-shooting participant, (for example, as a spotlight holder or driver), then tick the firearm exempt box on the game licence application form.

Purchasing Options for Recreational Game Licences

Applicants can purchase game licences for one or more game species at the same time, or individually as required from 1 February each year. No further cost will be incurred for game licence card updates.

There are three ways to apply for a recreational game licence:
  1. In person at any Service Tasmania Shop

  2. By completing a Recreational Game Licence Application Form and posting this with your cheque or money order to:

    Wildlife Management Branch
    Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment
    GPO Box 44, Hobart 7001

      Recreational Game Licence Application Form   (410Kb)

  3. Online: Credit cards accepted Visa, MasterCard or Amex
Licence purchasers receive:
  • a copy of Game Tracks,
  • deer tags (if applicable) and
  • a muttonbird information sheet (if applicable).
Each new recreational game licence applicant is issued with a unique licence number. This number is identified on the renewal application on the interim recreational game licence receipt and the plastic game licence card.

Purchases in Person from Service Tasmania shops

Any Service Tasmania shop will have recreational game licence application forms available, and will accept completed forms and payment. Payment can be made by credit or debit card, cash, or cheque. Service Tasmania shop locations can be found online.

The Service Tasmania shop will issue the purchaser with an interim recreational game licence receipt.

The interim recreational game licence receipt may be used in the field when hunting, as a temporary licence until the plastic game licence card is received. A plastic game licence card listing the licence types that have been issued and the season dates, will be mailed to the address provided by the applicant within 10 working days. Contact Permits and Licensing (see bottom of page) if not received within 10 working days.

Purchases sent through the post to Wildlife Management Branch

When a recreational game licence is purchased by post the successful applicant will receive their plastic recreational game licence card and any applicable tags and information by mail. These will be issued within 10 working days of receipt of payment. Contact Permits and Licensing (see bottom of page) if not received within 10 working days.

Please Note: Hunting cannot commence until the recreational game licence card and deer tags (if required) are received in the mail.

Purchases Online

When a recreational game licence is purchased online, an interim recreational game licence receipt will be issued. A Print Receipt reminder will be provided in the online application process. The interim recreational game licence receipt is valid until the plastic recreational game licence card is received for all species other than deer. 

The plastic recreational game licence card and any applicable tags and information will be sent by mail. These will be issued within 10 working days of receipt of payment. Contact Permits and Licensing (see bottom of page) if not received within 10 working days.

Please note: the interim recreational game licence receipt can be used in the field as a temporary licence for all licence types except deer. In this case hunting cannot commence until the deer tags are received in the mail.


Pension Concession

A 20 percent discount on the cost of a licence is available for holders of the following current concession cards:
  • Pensioner concession Card (Centrelink/Department of Human Services or DVA);
  • Centrelink/DHS Health Care Card (or for beneficiaries and/or dependants named on a Health Care Card); or
  • Tasmanian Seniors Card
Children under the age of 18 years are entitled to a concession only if they have their own concession card or are named as dependants by their parents on one of the above concession cards.

Lost or Damaged Game Licence Cards or Tags

Game Licence Cards

If a plastic recreational game licence card is lost or damaged a replacement may be requested by completing a ​recreational game licence application form and selecting the application type "I want to replace a lost or damaged current game licence card".

Deer Tags

Lost or damaged deer tags may be replaced. Please contact the Wildlife Management Branch on the contact details at the bottom of the page to arrange a replacement. 

A statutory declaration must be completed and submitted prior to a replacement tag being issued.

Seasonal Game Take Returns

At the close of every game season the Wildlife Management Branch will contact recreational game licence holders requesting information on their hunting activity. T​​​his occurs in July each year and includes each game species except wallaby.

This information is required annually from hunters. Information collected is used to ensure the sustainable management of Tasmania's game species, and forms the basis of the game season reports provided in Game Tracks.

Licence holders that provide their take information are automatically sent a licence renewal application for the following game seasons.

Take information is required in written form. Forms are available for completion at any Service Tasmania shop.
Game take return information and form

Please note: A recreational game licence holder who does not provide their take information as required will not receive a renewal application in the post, and will not be able to purchase a recreational game licence for the following game season, until the take information is submitted.


Hunting Regulations - including Bag Limits

General Regulations Applicable to all Species

The Wildlife (General) Regulations 2010 govern hunting in Tasmania. There are a number of regulations applicable to all species, subject to an open season:
  • Hunting at night is prohibited. In this instance night means the period between one hour after sunset and one hour before sunrise;
  • The use of baits, live decoys, traps, snares, spears, bows and arrows, explosives, poison, bird lime and chemical compounds is prohibited;
  • Solid jacketed military ammunition is prohibited; and
  • The use of dogs to catch, kill, or injure wildlife is prohibited.

Rabbits and Hares - Introduced pest animals that may be hunted

Rabbits and hares are classified as vermin under the Vermin Control Ac​t 2000 and may be hunted at any time on Crown land, State forest and on private land with the permission of the landholder. There is no bag limit and rabbits are normally taken with shotguns and rimfire rifles, although any non-prohibited firearm may be used.

Deer (Fallow)

Licence Fee: $71.00 Conc. $56.88
Bag Limit: One adult male deer and two antlerless deer OR three antlerless deer
Spikies may not be taken.

Regulation Snapshot:
  • Deer may only be taken with a legal firearm using a minimum legal firearm calibre of not less than 6mm, which is capable of delivering a projectile having kinetic energy of 1350 joules at a distance of 100 metres from the rifle. It is suggested a calibre .243 or greater be used;
  • The use of dogs and spotlights are not permitted for taking deer;
  • The head of a deer must not be removed or the body severed at a place other than the usual residence of the recreational game licence holder, unless the recreational game licence holder labels all the parts with their name, address, deer licence number and tag number;
  • A hunter must immediately tag each deer they take with the official tag issued to them with their recreational game licence;
  • When taking adult male deer fix and lock the tag to the antler between the brow tine and the trez tine.
  • When taking antlerless deer fix and lock the tag through the lower jaw.
  • Refer also to Animal Welfare Guidelines - Hunting of Wild Fallow Deer in Tasmania

A Category B endorsement is required on Tasmanian Minor's permits or firearm licences when an applicant is purchasing a recreational game licence for deer.

Public Land Deer Hunting Ballot (Central Hig​​hlands Dee​​​r Ballot)

To provide opportunities for appropriately licensed and registered shooters, the Department will continue to support responsible recreational shooters to hunt wild fallow deer on designated reserved land. 

Allowing strictly-controlled access for recreational hunters to reserved and public land will help control deer numbers, and will reduce their impact on the environment, while providing an opportunity for hunters.

Information about the ballot process, and the areas included, is available on the Public Land Deer B​allot page​​​​​​​​.​

​​Wild Duck

Licence Fee: $31.60 Conc $25.28
Bag Limit: 10 ducks per day

Only black duck, grey teal, chestnut teal, mountain duck and wood duck may be taken. 

Other species may be encountered in Tasmania but may not be taken. These include blue-winged shoveler, hardhead (or white-eyed) duck, musk duck, freckled duck, pink-eared duck, blue-billed duck and plumed tree duck.

Regulation Snapshot:
  • Decoys, including feathered decoys, are permitted when taking ducks in Tasmania, but the use of any bait, live birds, tape recorders or other electronic devices is prohibited;
  • The use of boats propelled by an engine is prohibited when taking ducks;
  • The use of aircraft for rousing ducks is prohibited;
  • Ducks may only be taken with shotguns not exceeding 12 gauge;
  • Duck hunters are not permitted to use lead shot when hunting over wetlands, lakes, dams, harbours, est​uaries, lagoons, rivers, creeks, canals or other watercourses, whether on public or private property;
  • Hunters must retain either the head or the wings on a harvested duck until the hunter has arrived at their normal place of residence, shack or camp;
  • Hunters must produce their Waterfowl Identification Test (WIT) Certificate the first time they purchase a recreational game licence to hunt duck. Thereafter, verification will occur via the game licence database. Applicants born on or before 1935 are exempt from this test;
  • Refer also to the Animal Welfare Guidelines - Hunting Wild Duck In Tasmania; and
  • Waterfowl Identification Test certificates issued in Queensland are not recognised in Tasmania.

Waterfowl Identification Tes​​t Certificate (WIT)

To obtain a recreational game licence for wild duck first time applicants must produce their Waterfowl Identification Test Certificate. Applicants born in the year 1935 or prior to 1935 are exempt from this test.

Waterfowl Identification Test certificates issued in Queensland are not recognised in Tasmania.


Tasmanian Duck Avian Influenza Survey

DPIPWE's Health Laboratories continue to call for biological samples from harvested ducks throughout the year to test for avian influenza.  The collection of duck samples is not mandatory.

If you are keen to assist, the most useful samples are those where the head and the guts from individual birds are retained in separate bags and the bag is labelled with the date and area the duck was shot. These samples need to be kept as cool as possible (in a esky with ice bricks, or in a shade covered with a damp cloth), or in a deep freezer. Arrangements can be made for their collection from anywhere in the State. 

Plastic bags and labelling pens can be provided upon request.  If you think you may be able to assist and would like further information please contact Sue Martin on (03) 6777 2155.

Duck Harvest Data Form

Hunters can assist The Wildlife Management Branch with input into future management and research of wild duck in Tasmania by completing the Duck Season Harvest Data Sheet. Any samples provided will be automatically made available to the Health Laboratories for Avian Influenza testing. Return details are provided on the form. 

  Tasmanian Duck Season Harvest Data Form   (106Kb)

Short-tailed Shearwater (Muttonbird)

Licence Fee: $31.60 Conc $25.28
Bag Limit: 25 muttonbirds per day applies to colonies in King Island Group, Hunter Group and Furneaux Group. 
Bag Limit: 15 muttonbirds per day applies on Tasmanian mainland colonies.

A muttonbird information sheet is given out with each muttonbird game licence purchased. Alternatively a copy can be obtained by contacting the Wildlife Management Branch - details at the bottom of the page. 

Please note: The taking of muttonbird from any other colonies other than those listed is illegal.​

Regulation Snapshot:
  • The use of pointed, sharpened, barbed, hook shaped, or sharpened implements is prohibited.
  • Dogs may not be used.
  • Interfering with muttonbird burrows during the closed season or without a licence during the open season is prohibited.
  • A recreational game licence is issued to one person only. The taking of muttonbirds under another person's licence (including that of a family member) is illegal.
  • Chicks are to be killed quickly and humanely in accordance with the Animal Welfare Act 1993.
  • Refer also to Animal Welfare Guidelines - Humane Killing of Muttonbirds (Shearwaters)

Bennett's and Rufous (Tasmanian Pademelon) Wallaby

Non-commercial Licence Fee:  $31.60 Conc $25.28
Commercial Licence Fee: $62.00
Bag Limit: There is no bag limit for either of these wallaby species.

A Commercial Wallaby Hunter's Licence is required to allow the sale of wallaby product. The twelve-month recreational hunting season on Bennett's and rufous wallaby includes King Island and Flinders Island.

  Commercial Wallaby Game Licence Application Form   (350Kb)

Regulation Snapshot:​
  • The use of snares and steel-jawed traps is prohibited;
  • The use of spotlights and shooting from a vehicle are prohibited;
  • A landholder can obtain a crop protection permit​ to allow shooting from a vehicle with the aid of a spotlight;
  • A landholder may issue a copy of their permit to licensed hunters to enable them to assist in the control of wallaby;
  • Any adult female wallaby taken must be examined for pouch young, which should be humanely killed without delay; and
  • Refer also to Animal Welfare Guidelines - Hunting of Wallabies in Tasmania
The Wildlife Management Branch does not require take information from wallaby game licence holders. The wallaby harvest is monitored using property specific take figures from wallaby crop protection permit holders.
Property owners, managers, their immediate family members or full-time employees are exempt from the requirement of a recreational wallaby game licence, however they are required to hold a current crop protection permit.

In addition to the above exemptions, any person under 18 years of age who may be accessing properties under a wallaby crop protection permit, who will not be a shooting participant but will be assisting in the shoot by holding a spotlight, driving or collecting carcases, does not need a recreational wallaby game licence.

Arrange an Org​anised Shoot Permit (15 or more hunters)

Day time hunting usually involves a group of licenced hunters with trained dogs who flush wallabies from bush areas to control browsing animals. As a knockdown tool this approach can be more effective than spotlighting in terms of reward for effort on both wallaby species, especially in areas where wallabies are able to flee into adjacent bushland or reedy areas during spotlighting. This is also very effective where spotlighting may not be practical (where spotlighting poses safety, terrain, vegetation, shy/educated population constraints).

​An organised shoot is a gathering of 15 or more licenced recreational shooters for the purpose of engaging in the taking of any wildlife on a property at one time. Under Wildlife (General) Regulations 2010, unless authorised by an Arrange an Organised Shoot Permit, a person must not arrange or facilitate an organised shoot.

By completing the Arrange an Organised Shoot application form and forwarding it onto the Wildlife Management Branch, a permit can be easily organised for your party to undertake this hunting activity.​


  Arrange an Organised Shoot   (778Kb)​


Brown ​Quail

Licence Fee:  $31.60 Conc $25.28
Bag Limit: 20 birds per day

Only brown quail may be taken. Other species such as stubble quail and painted quail are wholly protected and may not be taken.

Regulation Snapshot:
  • Quail may only be taken with shotguns, not exceeding 12 gauge.

Brown Quail Surveys:

To assist with future management decisions in relation to take areas for brown quail, we encourage hunters to complete the Brown Quail Survey Record Sheet and return it to the Wildlife Management Branch at the address provided on the form.

  Brown Quail Survey Record Sheet   (165Kb)

Wildlife Management staff can also assist hunters by providing copies of forms on request.

Ringneck Pheasant

Licence Fee: $15.80 Conc. $12.64
Bag Limit: three adult male birds per day during the season

Regulation Snapshot:
  • The open season applies only to male birds on King Island; and
  • Pheasants may only be taken with a shotgun not exceeding 12 gauge.
To obtain a licence, hunters are encouraged to:
  • become a member of the King Island Game Bird Association; and​
  • ensure you have permission to access land for hunting.

​​Application Forms

    Game Licence Application   (3Mb)

Data Fo​rms and Information Sheets

  Tasmanian Antlerless Deer Harvest Data Form   (208Kb)​

  Tasmanian Buck Harvest Data Form   (203Kb)​



Wildlife Management Branch
Permits and Licensing
GPO Box 44
Hobart TAS 7001
Phone: 03 6165 4305
Fax: 03 6173 0253

Game Services Tasmania
GPO Box 44
Hobart TAS 7000
Phone: 03 6165 3225

Back Home