Undertaking Riverworks

Provided no structures that impede the flow of water within the watercourse, such as dams, weirs or levees, are built then formal approval of riverworks on private land is not required from the Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment.

Dams, weirs and levees will require a permit from the Department before works can commence.

Other approvals from the Department and other Government agencies may be necessary if the works are likely to have certain adverse effects, for example on threatened flora and fauna species, aboriginal heritage sites, freshwater fisheries or native vegetation. More information on statutory controls over these aspects of riverworks is contained in the publication Waterways and Wetlands Work Manual, 2003 (see the link below).

Groups or individuals wishing to conduct riverworks should contact their local council to inform them that works are about to commence and to check whether they will need planning approval under their planning scheme. Water quality aspects should also be discussed with the Council Environmental Health Officer.

Further Information

The second phase of the Caring for Our Country Initiative will run from 2013 to 2018. It integrates previous programs such as the Natural Heritage Trust and the National Landcare Program: www.nrm.gov.au

NRM South: www.nrmsouth.org.au
NRM North:www.nrmnorth.org.au
NRM Cradle Coast:www.cradlecoastnrm.com

Waterways and Wetlands Works Manual

Local Council websites: www.lgat.tas.gov.au

Back Home