Rural Water Use Strategy
The Tasmanian Government has developed the Rural Water Use Strategy to support the wise use of water and ensure that our freshwater resources are available to support the wide range of water uses and environments that depend on them as well as new opportunities for innovation and growth.
Download the Rural Water Use Strategy
Rural Water Use Strategy* (1Mb)
Rural Water Use Strategy Flyer (219Kb)
* Please note, this version of the Strategy has had the page containing the Minister's Foreword and photo removed, in accordance with the Caretaker Convention Guidelines. It replaces the version published on this site on 26 March 2021. This change has been made as the Tasmanian Government has now entered the Caretaker period in preparation for the Tasmanian State election set down for 1 May 2021. No other content in the Strategy document has been changed.
Freshwater is vital for the Tasmanian economy, environment and way of life. Freshwater is:
- a key economic enabler for agriculture, energy, mining, forestry, industry and commercial uses;
- underpins urban water security for drinking water, commercial uses and liveability; and
- essential for maintaining environment, ecosystems and landscapes for intrinsic value, biodiversity, recreation and tourism
The Rural Water Use Strategy contains 4 Goals and 31 Actions to guide Tasmania’s future water management arrangements to ensure integrated, fair and efficient regulation of our water resources to deliver sustainable outcomes for rural water users, rural communities and the environment, while maintaining Tasmania’s competitive advantages in a changing climate.
Consultation on the Strategy's development
The Government sought input from key stakeholders and the general public in the development of the Rural Water Use Strategy to ensure that it is meaningful and relevant to the rural communities, industries and water resource systems it aims to support.
- 2019: Targeted stakeholder consultation
- April 2020: Consultation on Position Paper
- October 2020: Consultation on Draft Rural Water Use Strategy
- March 2021: Final Rural Water Use Strategy released
Draft Rural Water Use Strategy
For further information about the Rural Water Use Strategy contact
Water Policy and Planning Branch
Phone (03) 6165 3016
Email at: firstname.lastname@example.org