The following rules apply to both southern rock lobster and eastern (green) rock lobster which are also referred to in Tasmania as crayfish.
- You must be 10 years or older to hold a rock lobster licence.
- The licence holder must personally set and retrieve any rock lobster fishing gear and another person may assist them if needed e.g. to lift the pot.
- Aboriginal persons engaged in
aboriginal fishing are exempt from holding a fishing licence but must comply with all other rules. Where gear must be marked with a licence number, Aboriginal fishers should use a
unique identifying code.
Setting gear at season opening
You can only possess a rock lobster pot on State fishing waters
the day before the season opens and only set a pot
on the same day. Pots can then be pulled after midnight.
|North West Zone
- waters bounded in the south by line of latitude 42°00 S on the West Coast and bounded in the north by a line running northward at Point Sorell. See map below.|
You cannot possess female lobster smaller than 120mm inside the North West Zone or when transiting from outside the Zone to inside it.
|Female: 120 mm|
|Male: 110 mm|
|Other Waters ||Female: 105 mm|
Regional size limits apply for rock lobster
Bag, possession, boat and boat gear limits
Boat Gear Limit
Rock Lobster Pot:
Rock Lobster Ring: 20
* The person in charge of the boat is responsible for adhering to boat limits.
|Northern Bass Strait||2||4||10|
Mainland Tasmania, islands in the Western Region, Flinders, Cape Barren and Bruny Islands including homes, shacks and vehicles||-||10||-|
|Non-licensed||-||On land - 2|
On state waters - 0
Child under 10||-||0||-|
|Special Rock Lobster Licence (Western Region and Mainland Tasmania Only)|
- During the 14 day period, you are not allowed to fish in the Eastern Region.
|-||15 (for 14 days)||-|
Recreational rock lobster bag and possession limits
Measuring and sexing rock lobster
Get a free rock lobster measuring gauge at Service Tasmania shops.
Eating rock lobster at sea
You can cut up and eat one rock lobster for each licence holder on a boat. This rock lobster is included in your daily bag limit.
Humanely killing rock lobster
To avoid stress and achieve best eating qualities rock lobster should be humanely killed before cooking. This can be done by:
Step 1: Freezer chill lobster in air at deep freeze temperatures of - 13°C (5°F) for approximately 30 minutes until
Step 2: After chilling, the insensible crustacean should be killed immediately. This is most easily achieved by cutting through the centreline of the head and abdomen (splitting the lobster in half) or inserting a knife into the head of the animal (spiking).
For more information see the
Transiting during closed seasons
During the closed season for a region, or part of a region (eg. the
East Coast Stock Rebuilding Zone
) recreational fishers cannot, in the closed area:
- possess rock lobster or rock lobster pots or rings, or
- travel by water with rock lobster or rock lobster gear aboard to access open waters.
This has been in place for several years for resource management purposes.
Transiting biotoxin zones - Eastern Region
You can transit through closed rock lobster biotoxin zones to fish in opern waters for example: after the season opens in the
East Coast Stock Rebuilding Zone
, you can transit with rock lobster gear and rock lobsters through a biotoxin zone which is still closed for biotoxin reasons. You can also have a rock lobster pot in a closed Biotoxin Zone from 6am on the day before the season opens.
In a closed biotoxin zone you cannot:
- take rock lobster;
- dive for lobster, be in the water and possess rock lobster; or
- set pots or rings.
Provided the Eastern Region season (or parts thereof) are open, fishers can transit back from the Western Region to the Eastern Region open areas with rock lobster providing they comply with Eastern Region bag limits before proceeding past Whale Head or Point Sorell.
Tagged and specially marked rock lobster
- You cannot possess specially-marked research rock lobsters, which have either two separate holes of at least 5 mm in diameter in the tail fan, two coloured lines on the underside of the tail or a blue T-bar tag with the words
TAFI Research - Illegal to Take.
- You can keep other tagged rock lobster.
Illustrations by Peter Gouldthorpe