Recreational Fishing Licensing FAQs

Licence cards​

You can receive your licence​ by email OR be sent a plastic licence card to your postal address within 21 days.

If you lose or wish to apply for a plastic card later, you can order a replacement card online or at Service Tasmania (fee applies). You can receive your reminder notice by email or by post.

Fishing guide

If you ask for a plastic card, you'll be sent a printed Fishing Guide in the mail. If you receive your licence card electronically, check the fishing rules by:

Licence numbers

The licensing system issues you with a unique licence number that you can reactivate in future years so you can have the same buoy markings from year to year.  

If you held a Tasmanian recreational sea fishing licence in the past then your old number will normally be available.

Marking your gear

Gillnet buoyYou must put your licence number on rock lobster pot buoys, unattended rings, graball nets, mullet nets and set lines.

You must also identif​y the gear type by marking your buoy with a letter (G for graball net, M for mullet net, P for pot, LL for longline and DL for dropline) in clear figures at least 70 mm high X 12 mm wide.

Marker buoys must be at least 195 mm in diameter, spherical in shape and specifically designed as a buoy.  Other buoys may be attached, but must not have any markings.


Recreational Fishing Enquiries
Recreational Fisheries Section
1 Franklin Wharf
Hobart TAS 7001
Phone: 03 6165 3233, 1300 720 647

Back Home