Status of false cleavers in Tasmania(Galium spurium)
- False cleavers is a declared weed in Tasmania under the Tasmanian Weed Management Act 1999. The importation, sale and distribution of false cleavers are prohibited in Tasmania.
- The legal responsibilities of landholders and other stakeholders in dealing with false cleavers are laid out in the Statutory Management Plan for False Cleavers.
What does false cleavers look like?
cleavers is an annual herb with either a climbing or prostrate
(ground-hugging) growth habit. The stems grow to 40 cm long, are square
with short, backward-pointing hairs at the base of each leaf. The stem
leaves are narrow and occur in whorls of 6 to 8 leaves around the stem.
The leaves are pointed and covered with bristly hooked hairs. The
greenish-cream flowers are saucer-like and arise in clusters of 3 to 5
from branchlets in the leaf axils. The seeds are carried in paired
nutlets which are also covered in short, hooked hairs.
- Spread is by seed. Seed can be spread as a contaminant of agricultural products.
Image top: False cleavers in flower (Image: Leo Michels)
Image above left: False cleavers foliage (Image: Leo Michels)
Image above right: False cleavers foliage (Image: Leo Michels)
Impacts of bifora
- False cleavers is a serious crop weed.
Where does bifora occur
- False cleavers s
is a native of continental Europe. On mainland Australia, false
cleavers has naturalised in Western Australia and South Australia.
- False cleavers has not naturalised in Tasmania. It is recorded as an occasional contaminant of imported agricultural products, in particular Canadian clover seed.
What you need to do
you locate false cleavers anywhere in Tasmania, or if you find a plant
that you think could be false cleavers, immediately contact your
Regional Weed Management Officer on 1300 368 550 to report this weed.
Statutory Management Plan for False Cleavers
Weed Links and Resources
Other useful links
To the extent
permitted by law, the Tasmanian Department of Primary Industries, Parks,
Water and Environment (including its employees and consultants)
excludes all liability to any person for any consequences, including but
not limited to all losses, damages, costs, expenses and any other
compensation, arising directly or indirectly from using information or
material (in part or in whole) contained on this website.