Councils and Cat Management Facilities
Cat Management Act 2009
establishes cat management facilities as a key community resource to assist with management of cats. A cat management facility is:
- a council facility with capacity to handle and hold cats;
- a facility operated by RSPCA Tasmania;
- Ten Lives Cat Centre;
Just Cats Tasmania.
Cat management facilities may accept lost, stray or trapped cats from people controlling cats on their private property.
If a cat taken to a cat management facility is microchipped, the operator of the facility will attempt to notify the owner that their cat is being cared for at the facility and able to be reclaimed.
A cat that is being cared for at a cat management facility must be microchipped and desexed before being reclaimed from the facility. Exemptions to microchipping will apply where a vet certifies microchipping will affect the health and welfare of the cat; exemptions to desexing will apply to cats owned by registered breeders for the purpose of breeding or where a vet certifies desexing will affect the health and welfare of the cat. Owners of cats may be liable for any costs relating to the care and treatment of their cat.
If after notifying the owner, or if the owner cannot be found, and the cat is not reclaimed within a specified period, the operator of the cat management facility may re-home the cat.
Cat management facilities may also receive surrendered cats from owners who can no longer care for their cat.
- introduce by-laws requiring the registration of cats within their municipal area. Check with your
local Council on their requirements
- declare 'prohibited areas' by public notice for land within their authority that allows for humane destruction, trapping and seizure of cats found within that area. Declarations will be made via a notice in a daily newspaper.
- declare 'cat management areas' by public notice for specified areas where specified control activities may be undertaken for a nominated period. Declarations will be made via a notice in a daily newspaper.
Spreyton, Launceston and Hobart
Ph. 03 6709 8100
Ten Lives Cat Centre
Ph. 03 6278 2111
Just Cats Tasmania
Mowbray and Longford
Ph. 03 6388 9202
Contact your local Council for facilities that may be managed locally.
For further information about cat management in Tasmania: