Scientific Permits and Authorities to Collect or Disturb Native Fauna

​​​​​​​A scientific permit is usually required for any research involving the collection or disturbance of protected wildlife in Tasmania.

Protected wildlife includes:
  • all rare and threatened species
  • most native vertebrates and their products
  • some introduced vertebrates
  • some native invertebrates
  • all animals and their products on reserved land

Permit applicat​​ion require​​ments​​

Before completing an application, please read the guidelines for i​ssuing scientific permits. 

  Scientific Permit (Wildlife) Guidelines   (34Kb)​

Permit applications must be made using the required Scientific Per​mit Application Form and with all associated information requested attached. 

  Scientific Permit Application Fauna   (138Kb)​

A Permit Summary Form must be completed in conjunction with the Scientific Permit Application Form. 

  Scientific Permit Application - Project Summary   (49Kb)

A scientific permit report is normally required as a condition of a scientific permit.

  Scientific Permit Report   (33Kb)

Data on the species collected under a scientific permit is normally required as a condition of the permit. 

A Natural Values Atlas spreadsheet for submitting this data can be downloaded from the Natural Values Atlas or email​ 

Animal Et​​hics Committee a​​​pproval

If you are intending to take or disturb vertebrate or higher invertebrate wildlife then you must have Animal Ethics Committee (AEC) approval from an institution licensed under the Animal Welfare Act 1993. This AEC approval process is managed separately from the scientific permit approval process and is applied for separately.

License​​​d instit​utions

Animal research in Tasmania can only be conducted by institutions licensed by the Minister for Primary Industries and Water. Researchers, particularly Australian mainland researchers must ensure their institution is licensed. For further details and contacts see the Biosecurity Tasmania web page on Animal Research.


If you are collecting freshwater fish or marine fish (including marine invertebrates) you will need a separate permit. Contact the Inland Fisheries Service for all permits to take freshwater and marine fish. Complete a Fishery Permit Application in relation to taking marine fish (including marine invertebrates). If these species are threatened you will still need a scientific permit in addition. The fishery permit application form and further information is available on the fishing Permit Activities page.


To remove protected wildlife from Tasmania requires an export permit.

  Export Application Form   (415Kb)​


Please note that as part of the process for issuing scientific permits, the community is invited to view and comment upon all new permit applications. 

Listing of Scientific Permits (Fauna) for Public Comment


Scientific Research Permits
Natural Values Conservation Branch
134 Macquarie Street
Hobart TAS 7000

Back Home