Tasmanian Meat Industry Working Group
The Tasmanian Meat Industry Working Group (TMIWG) has been established to look at short and medium term actions, as well as the long term strategy required to underpin a sustainable livestock industry.
The working group has membership from a broad section of industry and government.
- Chair - Hon Leonie Hiscutt MLC, the Leader of Government Business in the Legislative Council and Member for Montgomery reporting to the Minister for Primary Industries and Water
- Tasmanian Agricultural Productivity Group representing agribusiness - Jim Wilson (and working group Deputy Chair)
- Tasmanian Farmers and Graziers Association representing commercial farming - Georgie Burbury
- Tasmanian Farmers and Graziers Association and Tasmanian Red Meat Industry Council representing commercial farming - Brett Hall
- Tasmanian Island Pork Alliance representing pig producers - Alan Broomby
- Australian Meat Industry Council - representing retailers, processors and smallgoods manufacturers - Oliver Stankovski
- Sprout Tasmania representing small producers - Jennifer Robinson
- Secretary of the Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment - John Whittington
- Secretary of the Department of State Growth - Kim Evans
Working Group Communiques
23 November 2018
The first meeting of the TMIWG was held on 23 November and following the meeting a communique was released outlining their agreed actions.
TMIWG Communique 23 November 2018 (190Kb)
18 December 2018
At its second meeting the TMIWG agreed, amongst other things, the Terms of Reference for a feasibilty study into establishing commercially viable on-island meat processing in Tasmania. The meeting Communique and the terms of reference are available below.
TMIWG Communique 18 December 2018 (26Kb)
TMIWG - Feasibility Study Terms of Reference (62Kb)