Farm Debt Mediation
The Tasmanian Government has committed to introducing a legislated farm debt mediation scheme in Tasmania that will help farmers in financial stress deal with their creditors.
Have your say
We are seeking submissions on a farm debt mediation Consultation Paper: Proposed Legislated Farm Debt Mediation Consultation Paper
Your input on this Paper will help to inform the development of the new Tasmanian farm debt mediation scheme.
How to make a submissionForward submissions by 11.59pm Friday 5 February 2021 to:
Farm Debt Mediation Working Group
GPO Box 44
Hobart TAS 7001
What will the Farm Debt Mediation Scheme include?
The Farm Debt Mediation scheme will provide:
- a structured negotiation process with a neutral and independent mediator to help farmers and lenders communicate effectively and come to a formal agreement about the management of farm debts
- an efficient, inexpensive and fair process for resolving debt problems early, as an alternative to a drawn-out, expensive and stressful court process for farmers and lenders
- assistance to address power imbalances that may exist between stressed farm businesses and their creditors
- resources to farmers to help them negotiate their own protections when dealing with lenders
- the statutory right to participate in mediation before creditors can take enforcement action