The Minister for Primary Industries and Water Jeremy Rockliff announced the creation of AgriGrowth Tasmania – a division of the Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment Department on 12 June 2014.
AgriGrowth Tasmania, which will harness the expertise from the Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment and Department of State Growth, will be connected to Tasmania’s primary industries’ leaders to provide support to assist in growing and reaching new markets.
AgriGrowth Tasmania will provide direct links between industry and government to enable more responsive and targeted support to growing Tasmania’s agricultural industries.
AgriGrowth Tasmania’s role will be to:
- Work directly with industry to seize new opportunities – especially in premium food production – and identify opportunities for Tasmania to increase its market share.
- Identify new opportunities in value-added food production– such as working with the dairy industry to partner the growth in demand for packaged milk in the Asian markets – and how Government can support industry investment in infrastructure.
- Work in partnership with the Tasmanian Institute of Agriculture to identify more targeted research and development that directly benefits industry and improves productivity and competitive.
- Work with our education and skills sector to identify directly linked training programs to support the skills requirements of our agriculture sector.
- Identify how our competitive advantages can play a greater role in exploiting Tasmania’s premium brand.
- Create a single division rather than multiple sections to simplify how industry works with Government.
- Work directly with industry to develop strategic plans for each of the agricultural sectors that identify the potential and strategies to reach that potential.