Management of Water Resources
The Water Management Act 1999
provides for the management of water resources by non-government bodies called water entities, within declared areas of the state.
Water entities (which include companies, Councils and Trusts formed under the Act) or a group of landowners may apply to the Minister for Primary Industries and Water to appoint and administer a water district.
Fact Sheet - Trusts Administering Water Districts (97 KB)
An irrigation supply, river works, water supply or a drainage scheme may be established in a water district. A water district may be defined as:
- The whole or part of a catchment area of a certain watercourse or lake; or
- A specified area of land.
A water district may be created to undertake various activities or works as outlined in this summary document.
Water Districts Summary (80 KB)
Applications to Minister
Applications to create water districts may be made by:
- A Council if it is proposed to appoint the whole or a part of its municipal area as a water district other than a water supply district; and
- A water entity that owns or occupies land in a proposed water district; and
- A body corporate that is incorporated under the Corporations Act if at least one-third of the members of the body corporate own or occupy land in a proposed water district; and
- a trust established under Part 10 of the Water Management Act 1999 or a body that is registered under the Cooperatives Act 1999, if at least one-third of the members of the trust or body own or occupy land in a proposed water district; and
- An electricity entity; and
- A water entity declared by the Minister, by notice published in The Gazette, to be a water entity to which this Division applies.
Establishment of Water District
On the application of a water entity or a group of landowners the Minister may, by notice published in the Gazette
, appoint, name and define
- a water supply district; or
- an irrigation district; or
- a riverworks district;or
- a drainage district
so as to give a water entity administrative control of, and responsibility for, that water district.
Annual Report Guidelines
The annual report guidelines for water entities administering water districts are to assist water entities with their annual report requirements. Annual reports are to completed and forwarded to the Department in September each year.
Annual Report Guidelines - WE administering Riverworks Districts (206 KB)
Annual Report Guidelines - WE administering Drainage Districts (206 KB)
Annual Report Guidelines - WE administering Irrigation Districts (241 KB)
NOTE: A copy of the Irrigation Rights Register as at 30 June each year must be included with the Water Entity's annual report.
Fact Sheet - Irrigation Rights Registers (17 KB)
See Part 9 of the Water Management Act 1999
on the Tasmanian Legislation website: www.thelaw.tas.gov.au