Centenary of Tasmanian Parks
This year marks the centenary of the state’s first national parks, Mount Field and Freycinet, reserved for the first time on 29 August 1916.
Events to celebrate
A summary of upcoming events to celebrate the centerary of national parks in Tasmania. See the
Events Calendar for full details.
Saturday 30 April ||
Australian Alpine and Snowsports History Association
Mount Field National Park
|3rd AASHA Annual Conference. Program includes talks by two local historians: Peter MacFie will speak about "Mount Field National Park – the formative years 1910-1940"; and Bruce Cole about "Mount Mawson's Rope Tows". The conference is open to everyone with an interest in alpine history. Conference registration cost: $20, includes lunch.
There will be a tour on Sunday 1 May to historic sites at Mount Field that includes a free lunch at Lake Dobson. There is no charge for the tour, but registration is required.
9 - 15 May 2016|
National Volunteers Week
We highlight the work of volunteers and thank them for their efforts. Local working bees and thank you events in parks and field centres.|
See full details.
|23 June 2016,|
5.30pm -- 7.30 pm
|The Power of Parks – UTas Forum
Series. Cradle Coast Campus, University of Tasmania ||Experts analyse the benefits of national parks in the context of conservation, the economy, community health and the Tasmanian identity. A panel presentation followed by Q&A session.|
|31 July 2016|
World Ranger Day
Celebration of the people behind parks
|We highlight the work of PWS and staff. Local working bees and thank you events in parks and field centres.|
See more events...
Stories to tell - what's in a name?
Mount Field National Park was named after Barron Field, an early judge of the New South Wales Supreme Court. He was a keen amateur naturalist and in 1819 presided at the first sitting of the Van Diemen's Land Supreme Court.
Russell Falls was known as Brownings Falls from around 1856 after the original discoverer and local settler. They became known as Russell Falls after 1884 by which time they were already a popular tourist attraction. The original Russell Falls, named for a member of an exploration party in the Derwent Valley, was actually located on the Tyenna River, which was previously known as Russell Falls River.
Pictures to see
Assistant Parks Ranger Rupert Belcher at Mount Field National Park from the Jack Thwaites collection 1930 - 1976, courtesy Tasmanian Archives and Heritage Office
View the Centenary of Parks Gallery...
and Wildlife Service is indebted to the Tasmanian Archive and Heritage Office (TAHO)
for providing most of the photographs on this website.
for relevant material has turned up some wonderful images as well as useful
information that has greatly assisted the Centenary project.
extensive collection of archival and heritage material is online at http://www.linc.tas.gov.au/archive-heritage
MacFie: Biography William George Crooke Australian Dictionary of Biography Supplementary
Volume (MUP) 2005 (Australian National University, Canberra); Mt Field -
The Evolution of Tasmania's First National Park (DPW&H)
Field Naturalists Club: Easter Camp-Out 1909 to Wineglass Bay, Freycinet
Wildlife Service website www.parks.tas.gov.au
coins, stamps, medal and collectables website http://www.thestampplace.com/information/stamps/tasmanian-pictorial-stamps.html
Tramp No 11 December 1939 (TAHO)