Who can search a title?
Anyone who pays the prescribed fee can search a title. A solicitor or title searching organisation can search the title for you at an additional cost.Where can I search a title?
What information do I need?
- You can search a title at the Land Titles Office, Level 1, 134 Macquarie Street, Hobart. The Office is open weekdays from 9am to 5pm
- You can also search a title at any one of the Government's Service Tasmania shops around the State.
- The Department also offers remote searching facilities through the Government's Land Information System Tasmania (The LIST).
- You can write, requesting a title search, accompanied by the perscribed fee. Written requests should be addressed to: Land Titles Office, GPO Box 541, Hobart Tas 7001
Property titles are maintained in the Land Titles Register under a volume/folio reference. Having this reference saves you time and money in searching the title. Your solicitor, estate agent or vendor should be able to provide you with this reference. If you do not have the volume/folio reference, there are several ways of finding the title volume/folio reference, some of which may incur additional search fees:
- the plan number and lot number reference to the property
- the address of the property
- the owner's full name or a previous owner's full name and time frame of ownership of the property
- identifying the property on a map or plan, perhaps by UPI reference and mapsheet number.
Office staff will search the Land Titles Office records on payment of the relevant fee. In order to assist the search, clients requesting assistance in person should provide any particulars known to them (ie. title reference, full name, date of purchase, address, etc).
Searching the records can be time-consuming so we recommend that potentially complex or lengthy searches be made in writing to the 'Recorder of Titles' allowing sufficient time for staff to search and reply. What do I receive?
For your current title search you will receive a copy of a folio text
and a folio plan
Your folio text result of the title search will set out:
- the title number as a volume/folio reference
- the description of land
- current owner's names and tenancies held
- any registered easements, mortgages, covenants, encumbrances, caveats, etc.
- list of any unregistered dealings
- a copy of the plan of title
Where other documents (eg. schedule of easements or dealings) are required, copies may be purchased at an additional cost.
Copies supplied by the office are in black and white, hard copy and are A4 standard size.What search fees are payable?
If you know the volume/folio reference a search fee is payable per title at the time of the search will provide you with a copy of the folio text and folio plan.
If staff are required to search and provide the reference for you an additional hourly(or part) fee is payable. Lengthy searches are subject to staff availability and will incur the hourly(or part) fee. Historical/Bulk Searches
For historical searches and/or bulk searches, it is recommended that you consult a solicitor or title searching organisation.Further information: