Status of parkinsonia in Tasmania(Parkinsonia aculeata)
- Parkinsonia is a declared weed in Tasmania under the Tasmanian Weed Management Act 1999. The importation, sale and distribution of parkinsonia are prohibited in Tasmania.
- Parkinsonia is also a Weed of National Significance (WONS).
legal responsibilities of landholders and other stakeholders in dealing
with parkinsonia are laid out in the parkinsonia Statutory Weed
What does parkinsonia look like?
is a single or multi stemmed bush or small tree growing to 8 metres.
The stems are slender and smooth, and tend to droop and zig-zag. The
leaves are a flat green leaf stalk with numerous small, green oblong
leaflets staggered along both sides. The leaf base is protected by sharp
- The flowers have four yellow petals and a single
erect orange or orange-spotted petal. The seed pods are straight with
bulges around the seeds and points at both ends.
- Spread is by seed. Seed is spread in water, and in mud on animals and machinery.
- See the WONS website for more information on identifying this weed.
All images copyright Forest & Kim Starr
Impacts of parkinsonia
- Parkinsonia is a serious weed of rangelands and wetlands.
Where does parkinsonia occur?
is a native of Central America. In Australia, parkinsonia has
naturalised in Queensland, Western Australia and the Northern Territory.
- Parkinsonia does not occur in Tasmania.
What you need to do
- If you locate
parkinsonia anywhere in Tasmania, or if you find a plant that you think
could be parkinsonia, immediately contact your Regional Weed Management
Officer on 1300 368 550 to report this weed.
Weed Links and Resources
Other useful links
Weeds in Australia - Weed Management Guide
To the extent
permitted by law, the Tasmanian Department of Primary Industries, Parks,
Water and Environment (including its employees and consultants)
excludes all liability to any person for any consequences, including but
not limited to all losses, damages, costs, expenses and any other
compensation, arising directly or indirectly from using information or
material (in part or in whole) contained on this website.