Status of cabomba in Tasmania(Cabomba caroliniana)
- Cabomba is a
declared weed in Tasmania under the Tasmanian Weed Management Act 1999. The importation, sale and distribution of cabomba are prohibited in Tasmania.
- The legal responsibilities of landholders and other stakeholders in dealing with cabomba are laid out in the
Cabomba Statutory Weed Management Plan.
What does cabomba look like?
- Cabomba is a mostly submersed aquatic perennial herb usually rooted in bottom mud but which can survive free-floating in deep water. The stems are slender, much branched from near the base, and covered with a thin jelly-like coating. The leaves are of two types. The submerged leaves are opposite or arranged in whorls and finely dissected to form a fan shape. The floating leaves are few, narrow and around 2 cm long. The flowers are white or cream, often with a pink tinge at the tip and two yellow spots at the base of each petal. The flowers float on the water surface.
- Spread is by stem fragments and possibly by seed. Cabomba is a popular aquarium plant, and has been spread as discarded aquarium plants.
Image top right: Cabomba stems and leaves, photo: Graves-Lovell
Image above: Cabomba flower, photo: Troy Evans
Impacts of cabomba
- Cabomba is a weed of irrigation channels and ditches.
Where does cabomba occur?
- Cabomba is a native of North America. On mainland Australia, fanwort has naturalised in New South Wales and Queensland.
Cabomba has not naturalised in Tasmania. However, the plant has been recorded in aquaria in the state.
What you need to do
- If you locate cabomba anywhere in Tasmania, or if you find a plant that you think could be cabomba, immediately contact your Regional Weed Management Officer on 1300 368 550 to report this weed.
Cabomba Statutory Weed Management Plan
Weed Links and Resources
Other useful links
Weeds in Australia - Weed Management Guide
To the extent permitted by law, the Tasmanian Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment (including its employees and consultants) excludes all liability to any person for any consequences, including but not limited to all losses, damages, costs, expenses and any other compensation, arising directly or indirectly from using information or material (in part or in whole) contained on this website.