Ferrosol Topsoil Structure
This guide is for farmers to use in the paddock. It is to help identify soil structure problems which can be readily observed in the paddock and to show ways of managing soils to improve structure.
It does not describe scientific tests on soil properties.
Compaction, overworking, smearing, puddling by stock and declining organic matter levels all degrade soil structure which results in:
- reduced infiltration resulting in increased runoff and erosion
- reduced porosity, aeration and water storage
- poor drainage and reduced trafficability
- increased root impedance due to greater soil strength
- increased cloddiness, and
- declining yields.