Safe Farming Tasmania program

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​The Safe Farming Tasmania program is about:

  • raising awareness of farm safety issues 
  • encouraging discussions 
  • providing farmers with the support they need to improve work health and safety


​​The Safe Farming Tasmania program has developed resources to assist you in developing your work health and safety practices.  These resources include:

Managing Farm Safety

Why do I need a safety management system?
Health and safety laws require a PCBU (person conducting a business or undertaking or the old employer) to provide and maintain safe work systems. This includes providing a safe workplace, ensuring that machinery and equipment are in safe conditions, and substances are stored safely.

What is a safety management system?
A safety management system doesn’t have to be a huge portfolio of documents. It can be as simple as a few basic documents (safety rules) that you put together systematically, to clearly spell out to all concerned what you do to manage safety on your farm, and most importantly, what you expect workers and visitors (and family members) to do to stay safe.

How many documents do I need?
This will vary according to the size and complexities of your farm, but most farmers may only need a few documents. The main ones to get you started will be:
  • Spelling out yours and your workers' obligations in a health and safety policy.
  • Documenting your inductions so that you can be sure (and prove if required) that you have covered off with workers what needs to be discussed about working safely on your farm. An induction checklist is a very good start.
  • Encouraging your workers to report hazards that they know of so that you can record and action them.
  • Developing some basic safe work procedures for the riskier jobs that workers will be required to do. Things like operating quad bikes, tractors, chain saws etc communicate them to your workers and make sure they are trained and competent to do these jobs safely.  Make sure that you set a good example by following the rules and procedures yourself.
  • Involving your workers and ask for their thoughts and in-put right from the start. That’s good consultation and is very important.
​What do I need to tell contractors?
You need to tell all contractors who come onto your farm to do specific work about any hazards on your property and your safety rules. Make sure they hold the required insurances, are capable of doing the job safely and that any machinery and equipment they bring on to your property is in a safe operational condition.

What about visitors?
Install warning signs at your main gate to alert visitors to hazards that exist on your farm. Provide contact details so that they can request permission to enter your farm. Supervise them while they are there.​ You could induct them into your safety rules as well.

Good luck with your endeavours to make your farm as safe as you possibly can and remember you can contact Phill John anytime if you need any help or advice.​

Book a visit

Contact Phillip John if you would like work health and safety (WHS) advice that is:​
  • free
  • confidential​
  • practical 
Senior WHS Consultant Phillip John has many years of experience providing advice to rural, forestry and other small businesses. 

He works state wide and can be contacted on 0407 015 400.

The Safe Farming Tasmania program is an agreement between DPIPWE and WorkSafe Tasmania and will run until 2022. 

Safe Farming Tasmania is part of the State Government's commitment to cultivating prosperity in the rural sector.​


Safe Farming Tasmania program
Phill John
Rundle Road
Stony Rise TAS 7310
Mobile: 0407 015 400

AgriGrowth Tasmania
Safe Farming general enquiries
Phone: 1800 291 100