Established in 1986, Rural Business Tasmania Inc
. is a not-for-profit association that offers financial counselling and business support expertise to rural and regional communities. Rural Business Tasmania provides the service of the Rural Financial Counselling Service (RFCS) in Tasmania.
The RFCS is a statewide free, confidential, and independent counsel to primary producers, fishermen and small rural and regional businesses that are suffering financial hardship.
The service seeks to:
- Help clients gain better understanding of their financial position;
- Help clients identify financial and business risk and opportunities;
- Help clients negotiate with lenders and creditors;
- Provide clients information about their eligibility for Federal and State government services and financial assistance schemes;
- Refer clients to specialist service providers including accountants, agricultural advisers, succession planners, family mediation, and health and wellbeing counsellors.
RFCS Tasmania is part of the national Rural Counselling Program, and receives its funding from the Australian Government, DPIPWE, Rural Youth Tasmania, and a number of commercial sponsors. Funding for the existing program expires on 30 June 2015.
All matters discussed with the service are confidential and nothing will be disclosed to outside agencies or individuals without the client's permission.