Tasmanian Food and Beverage Industry ScoreCard 2007-08

 Tasmanian Food and Beverage Industry ScoreCard 2007-08  coverGrowth in agricultural and fisheries production was particularly strong during 2007-08 (about 2.5 times the 10-year average).

Some significant highlights were:
  • Farm gate / beach point sales increased by $169 million (14%) on the 2006-07 year.
  • Increased dairy farm sales were a major contributor to that growth (+$98 million), along with vegetables (+$43 million), wine grapes (+$15 million) and cherries (+$15 million).
  • Value added foods increased by $218 million on the previous year.
  • Increased dairy products (+$106 million), beer (+$74 million) and vegetables (+ $53 million) were the main contributors to growth, offset by a decline in returns for some seafoods.
  • The vast majority (90%) of Tasmania's food trade revenue was generated by just 10 categories - dairy, confectionery, salmon, potatoes, beef, abalone, beer, lobster, carrots and onions. All the remaining other foods represented some 10% of trade revenue.
  • The significant growth in production was largely directed towards interstate markets. Interstate food sales were the major area of market growth (+$154 million) in 12 months. Major contributors to that result were dairy ($115 million), beer ($66 million) and vegetables ($23 million).
  • Overseas exports did not change compared to exports in 2006-07. In 2008-09 overseas food exports fell (-$14 million).
  • Tasmania continued to produce a large net food trade surplus - more than 74% of food production was destined for overseas and interstate customers.
  • Trade income in 2007-08 exceeded $1.98 billion and that continued to underpin a substantial portion of Tasmania's economy.
Download the ScoreCard below:

  Tasmanian Food and Beverage Industry ScoreCard 2007-08   (593Kb)

Contact

Agricultural Economist
Mary Bennett
GPO Box 44
Hobart TAS 7001
Phone: 03 6165 3163
Email: Mary.Bennett@dpipwe.tas.gov.au

Back Home