Flood Information

​​​The following flood information is available from the Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment. Additional information on personal and financial support available can be found on the TasAlert Flood Assistance page.

For emergency information including flood warnings, road closures, and public health warnings, see the TasAlert website.

Mersey-Dasher Riparian Recovery Program

An additional $2.15 million in disaster funding has been announced to restore areas of the Mersey-Dasher river system badly damaged by major floods in June 2016.

The assistance is being provided through the jointly-funded Commonwealth-State Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA).

The funding has a focus on reducing the impact of future flood events and building the resilience of the Mersey-Dasher river system.

For more information contact DPIPWE: Flood.Recovery@dpipwe.tas.gov.au

Agricultural Landscape Rehabilitation Scheme

The Agricultural Landscape Rehabilitation Scheme has been developed by the DPIPWE with the support of the three Natural Resource Management (NRM) regional groups to support recovery efforts following the June 2016 floods.

The Scheme will assist flood-affected landowners and communities through funding of up to $2 million for projects and services aimed at rehabilitating land and stream systems damaged as result of the floods in June this year. It will target private property and adjacent areas that have suffered physical damage as a result of the floods.

Proposed works that may be considered under the Scheme could include debris clean-up on productive land, including the removal of timber and river cobble, land rehabilitation across the floodplain, erosion management and future flood mitigation measures.


NRM North, NRM South and Cradle Coast NRM will deliver the program and will be the primary point of contact for information about the Scheme.

The NRM groups will offer services such as group workshops and on-ground consultation and they will also provide support to help develop, scope and cost a works proposal.

The Guidelines for the Scheme include explanation of:

  • what the Scheme covers
  • the nomination period
  • who can nominate works
  • how much funding is available
  • what the funding can be used for
  • the criteria, and
  • how to apply.

More detail about the Agricultural Landscape Rehabilitation Scheme including a copy of the Guidelines and the nomination form is available on the NRM North website, by telephoning 1300 043 116 or emailing: alrs@nrmnorth.org.au

Primary Producer Clean-up Grants

Please note: Changes to boundaries, and extension of application closing date to 31 March 2017.

In July 2016 the Tasmanian and Australian governments announced Primary Producer Clean-up Grants. These grants provide up to $10,000 to help eligible primary producers affected in the June 2016 floods.

The grants can be used to assist primary producers with clean-up and restoration activities including removing debris, disposing of dead livestock, salvaging crops, grain and feed, and repairing plant and equipment.

Grants are available to eligible primary producers in the following nine local government areas (LGAs):

  • Break O’Day
  • Central Coast
  • Central Highlands
  • Kentish
  • Latrobe
  • Launceston
  • Meander Valley
  • Northern Midlands
  • Waratah-Wynyard

The Tasmanian Government has extended the eligible areas to beyond the approved boundary:

  • Primary producers located within a two kilometer buffer zone from the middle of a natural watercourse that defines the boundary of an approved local government area where grants are available, into a non-approved area, are also able to submit an application. This will ensure that primary producers that are eligible for the grants are not disadvantaged by being located on the ‘wrong’ side of a natural river watercourse.
  • A 100-metre buffer extension is applied to all remaining local government area boudaries.

As a result, there will be an extension to the deadline for the Primary Producer Clean-up Grants with applications now set to close on the 31st of March 2017.

Please download the application form and information for applicants and contact AgriGrowth Tasmania on 6777 2233, PO Box 46 Kings Meadows Tas 7249, or AGT.admin@dpipwe.tas.gov.au if you need more information.

Funding for the Primary Producer Clean-up Grants is provided under the jointly funded Commonwealth-State Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA).

Transport Subsidy for Flood-affected Primary Producers

Assistance is available for flood-affected primary producers to reduce the costs of transporting fodder, stock, and materials following the floods.

The costs of transporting fodder and/or water to a property, stock to or from agistment, stock to sale or slaughter, and transport and equipment of materials directly associated with primary production, are generally eligible for the subsidy.

Further details regarding eligibility are available in the Scheme Information and Guidelines (PDF, 360KB).

Your completed application form (PDF, 525KB) with the required documentation must be lodged with AgriGrowth Tasmania by:

  • Email -  AGT.Admin@dpipwe.tas.gov.au or
  • Post -  AgriGrowth Tasmania, PO Box 46, Kings Meadows, TAS 7249 or
  • Fax - 03 6344 9814

Initial applications were to be lodged by 30 November 2016.

For further information, contact AgriGrowth Tasmania on 03 6777 2233.

Flood Recovery Loan Scheme

The Tasmanian Government is providing a Loan Scheme to assist primary producers and small businesses directly affected by the June 2016 floods.

The loan scheme will provide loans ranging from a minimum of $25,000 to a maximum of $200,000 for eligible businesses located in areas affected by the June 2016 floods. 

Applications for the Flood Recovery Loan Scheme opened on 27 June 2016 and have been extended until 31 March 2017. Details of any revisions to the scheme over this period will be published on the Department of State Growth’s website.

Floods and Farming Properties

Here are resources and links from Tasmania and other states useful for farmers managing flood on their properties.

​Safe Farming

Safe Farming Tasmania is strongly encouraging farmers, farm workers and volunteers to continue to work safely during the current wet weather conditions and not to not take any unnecessary risks.

Only workers with appropriate skill levels should operate tools and equipment such as chainsaws, tractors and quad bikes. People operating quad bikes should check to ensure their route is clear and avoid attempting to cross flooded areas.

More information is available from Worksafe Tasmania.

Australian Government assistance

The Australian government has announced assistance through the jointly-funded Commonwealth-State Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA) which is designed to help ease the financial burden that communities bear as a result of natural disasters.

Information about this NDRRA disaster assistance is available at disasterassist.gov.au.

Animal Welfare During Floods

People should not enter flood flows to attempt to rescue livestock. If animals are apparently stranded on virtual islands they will be OK for the time being. Do not risk human life attempting to get fodder to them.

Note that stock immersed in water for a significant period will need to be monitored for 10 days afterwards. Seek veterinary advice early if there are signs of illness or deterioration in condition.  

DPIPWE can provide advice on flood-affected animals. Another source of advice is your normal vet.

For assistance with injured wildlife contact DPIPWE on 6165 4305 for advice.

DPIPWE manages a network of wildlife carers and works with other volunteer groups and wildlife parks to provide care for injured animals.

If members of the public wish to offer assistance caring for injured wildlife, please contact:

  • Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary on 6268 1184 or
  • DPIPWE on 6165 4305

For information on the care of livestock affected by the current flood event, contact your regular vet or call DPIPWE 6777 2115.


The Fodder in Tasmania fact sheet has information about purchasing and/or moving fodder within Tasmania and importing fodder from interstate.

Animal Carcasses

There will be a lot of various debris needing to be cleaned up when the waters recede.  One of the aspects of this will be the disposal of carcasses of animals caught in the floods.


Given the significant number of stock that have died as a result of the flood and the impact those carcasses may have on landholders, the Government will co-ordinate a disposal service where landholders need assistance with disposing of the carcasses that may have been left on their property.

If landholders are able to manage the disposal on their own then there are several options available which include:

  • Where carcasses are on-farm they can be deep buried on that farm when conditions allow.  It may be necessary to collect carcasses and stock pile them on dry ground while waiting for conditions to allow construction of a burial pit.

  • Smaller amounts of carcasses can be disposed of at some municipal refuse sites as putrescible waste. Not all municipal refuse sites carry the necessary permits to accept this type of waste so contact the relevant local council and check this before transporting the carcasses.

However, if landholders require assistance with this process then they can contact the EPA on 0418 583 373 to facilitate the removal of the carcasses and their appropriate disposal.

Identifying dead and displaced stock in flood areas

If you come across displaced stock, scan (using a microchip scanner) or note the tag numbers and call DPIPWE 1300 368 550 so the animals can be traced.

If you come across dead stock you can identify these by scanning or visually reading the tag, and noting the colour of the tag and the location found. Please email the information through to nlis.tas@dpipwe.tas.gov.au.


It is important before burial or disposal of the carcasses to record all tag numbers or scan the tag and also note the colour of the tag (often a clear photo of the tag can help) for tracking and notification of loss. This information is very important for insurance purposes.

Flood Situation in National Parks

The Parks and Wildlife Service posts information about track and park closures on Facebook.

Dam Emergencies

To report a dam safety incident that threatens life or property call 000 and ask for the Police. The Tasmania Police coordinate Dam Emergency responses.

Pollution Incidents

Flooding events can lead to pollution incidents. To lodge a pollution complaint or notify of a pollution incident, contact the EPA Division.

Heritage Places Affected by Flooding

When a heritage place is affected by a damaging event such as a fire, storm, flood or earthquake, informed and prompt action can reduce the loss of heritage material and consequently the long term impact that the event has on the place's cultural heritage values. Heritage Tasmania provides advice on what to do in an emergency event.

Salvaging After the Floods


The recent floods have resulted in a large amount of debris left behind once the water has receded. If you are considering salvaging anything from either Crown Land of Private Property there are a number of regulations you must adhere to:

  1. Before removing any material from the beach, approval from the land manager and a licence from Crown Land Services are required [i].
    • If the land is a public reserve, then public access for salvaging will be available. Permission will be required from the managing authority for that reserve.
    • Specific licence requirements exist for natural materials and stormcast botanicals. Removal of cast seaweed or seagrass is sometimes undertaken to make use of the resource. Non-commercial users may remove up to 100kg per person per day with approval from the relevant managing authority. However, if the material is to be sold directly or manufactured into a commercial product, then a harvesting license is required from Wild Fisheries in DPIPWE [ii].
  2. You need to be aware of the interpretation of stealing [iii] before removing things from private land or claiming your property back.
    • If something has washed up on your property you cannot automatically claim it (including animals), you MUST show reasonable effort in to locate owner [iv]. 
    • At the minimum, this would mean reporting to the local police or to an organisation that is co-ordinating a response.  Local Councils often setup "lost and found" through responses.
  3. The movement of controlled waste, such as asbestos building materials and tyres needs specific approval [v]
    • For information on how to identify a material as controlled waste go to www.epa.tas.gov.au/regulation/identify-a-material-as-a-controlled-waste
  4. All the rules surrounding firewood collections are those that currently stand. However, safety must be considered due to the mixing up of other debris with the wood along with the quality or contamination of wood sources.
    • You can collect firewood from your own property without a permit as long as it does not contravene any of the conditions for taking a native plants [vi].
    • You cannot enter public or private land for private collections without permission from land owners. 
    • Licences are required when sourcing wood from Forestry Tasmania [vii]. 
    • Any gathering of firewood from Public Lands would need permission from the Land Manager and a special licences from Crown Lands and to be in accordance with Management Plans for those areas.

[i] Under the Crown Lands Act 1976

[ii] Under the Living Marine Resources Act 1995

[iii] Under the of the Criminal Code Act 1924 (No. 69 of 1924

[iv] Section 226 2(a) (iv) of the Criminal Code Act 1924

[v] Controlled waste is defined in the Environmental Management and Pollution Control Act 1994 and the Environmental Management and Pollution Control (Waste Management) Regulations 2010

[vi] Under the Nature Conservation Act 2002 or the Forest Practices Act 1985.

[vii] www.forestrytas.com.au/firewood-permits